On Thursday, January 10th President Barack Obama signed key veterans’ bills into law. One of the bills was the Improving Transparency in Education Opportunities for Veterans Act (HR 4057), which was crafted by the VFW. The bill ensures that the VA will offer quality consumer information and consumer protections for student-veterans. Another key bill, S. 3202, is a comprehensive bill that improves cemetery protections for grieving families of veterans and also:
- Establishes an open-air burn pit registry for veterans
- Launches a pilot program for veterans’ transition resources
- Ensures proper maintenance of Clark Cemetery in the Philippines.
Here is a list of all bills signed recently signed into law that relate to and either directly or indirectly affect veterans issues:
H.R. 4053, the “Improper Payments Elimination and Recovery Improvement Act of 2012,” which clarifies requirements for Federal agencies to use improper payment information to determine program or award eligibility; establishes a Do Not Pay Initiative; and expands OMB responsibilities in the effort to eliminate and recover improper payments;
H.R. 4057, which requires the Department of Veterans Affairs to establish a comprehensive policy for providing information regarding higher education and training programs to veterans and members of the Armed Forces;
H.R. 6620, the “Former Presidents Protection Act of 2012,” which restores lifetime Secret Service protection of former Presidents who did not serve as President prior to January 1, 1997, and their spouses; and provides for protection of all children of former Presidents until they become 16 years of age;
S. 3202, the “Dignified Burial and Other Veterans’ Benefits Improvement Act of 2012,” which amends authorities of the Department of Veterans Affairs related to: cemetery matters; health care; and miscellaneous matters.
- Initial Research on the Long-Term Health Consequences of Exposure to Burn Pits in Iraq and Afghanistan (Federal Register)
- This generation’s Agent Orange:’ New registry to tally, track burn pit illnesses among vets (usnews.nbcnews.com)
- Top 10 Veterans Stories in Today’s News – January 11, 2013 (veteranstoday.com)